Sunday 13 March 2011

Versailles

The Coronation of Napoleon 
Check out the ermine cape. This is the second painting of this subject. The other is in the Louvre.
McDonald's
Louis XIV
Entry Gate - Grand Palais
The mirrored Corridor
Yesterday, I went to Versailles. It was an all day trip. To get to Versailles, one takes the metro to a RR transfer station. There, one takes Train "C". It's about an hour on the train to Versailles. The first thing you see when you leave the station is: "McCafe.

A touch of America; we are everywhere. I ordered a "cafe creme" (cafe au lait). I want to say that I don't know if it's because I'm in Paris, but the coffee, even at McDoo's, tastes a little better. 

I bought my ticket: 19.50 Euros. This allowed me to visit the Castle, the grounds and Marie Antoinette's play house. As you enter the massive, gilded entry gate with the King's crest, in gold, (of course), you know this, in itself, is a preview to the living experience at Versailles. Having seen the city apartment at the Louvre, of Louis and Marie Antoinette,  I should have been ready for "the big resident". Actually, there were three famous"Louis'' associated with the Grand Palais. First, Louis XIV who built it; then, Louis XV, who enjoyed it, and Louis XVI, who paid for it with his head. As you would expect, the place is beyond opulence. It is gold upon gold and a myriad of marbles which exists as structural elements as well as decorative ones. The wall paper, when used, is a very fine fabric. The statues, in the mirror room, line a long corridor. Each statue in the form of a goddess (gold) holds a large crystal candalabra. These statues are larger than life and jaw dropping. The wall, opposite, 17 French doors (ceiling to floor), is mirrored. The light is impressive. 



One of my favorite things is the bust of Louis XIV. This art piece is rendered from pieces of marble.  It was simply gorgeous. (Please note: - I'm having difficulty integrating the photos. They have a mind and a place all their own)
This Louis, 14th, had the church built near the end of his reign, as part of the Palace. He had lost his wife and children and had become quite religious. It was breathtaking. Painted, "Trompe d'oeil", ceilings (think Cistine Chapel - every room).

I couldn't resist taking a photo of this huge Rhino - just a "little objet d'art" to decorate your home. Also, I've included a replica of the dining table. I thought you might like to see how the "upper class" ate. But, the really strange thing, I was told on my audioguide, is the king and queen ate with their grandchildren while courtiers and noblemen and sometimes normal people watched them. The napkins were folded to look like roses.

I can't mention all the little details that are often overlooked because everything is so grand. I saw many gold thrones and paintings which belie imagination because they are so big and framed in a swirl of gold ornamentation.

The outside was as spectular as the inside. I have been told that over 1000 gardeners worked year round to keep the gardens pristine. And they were. Although, we are at the end of winter, one can see buds on the trees and new shoots emerging. In April, the grounds will be in full bloom and the fountains operating too. It should be "over the top" beauty and a must for all visitors to Paris. The distance from the palace to the end of the Grand canal is approximately 2.3 miles. And this area extends laterally too. There are, on these grounds approximately 30 - 50 ponds, baths, pools and/or basins on the terraces, lawns, and/or grounds. This doesn't include Marie Antoinette's house (petit trianon). Some refer to her estate as "her playhouse", because she was only 14 when she wed Louis 16. The house is quite a nice size, however, gated, guard houses with lovely gardens. I have included a picture of the drawing room.

I hope I have given you an idea of this museum and how the people lived in it. I was exhausted when I returned home and I'm sure it was another case of "sensory overload".

Today is Sunday and I went to the Luxembourg Jardins. It's rather remarkable that I would see one of my classmates also in the park with his wife, considering the 5 million population living here. Gordon and his teenage son spent a week in my Oral French class. They head back to Alaska tomorrow.

"Allez au boulot"! (which is slang for "Get crackin'") which I'm about to do.

I'm on the downhill slide now. I will see you soon. Sally

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful pictures and descriptions of Versailles. Sounds like you are really seeing some highlights of France and Paris.

    bonne chance

    Gail

    ReplyDelete