Monday 7 March 2011

Bike Tour

Sunday, I took the “Fat Tire Bike Tour”. It is an easy, informative introduction to Paris. You ride in a group, and make stops along the way at points of interest. There, the guide gives a brief history with humorous anecdotes. I have taken this tour before, but it was still worthwhile. One of our first stops was “Les Invalides”. It was a hospital for war veterans, but, now, holds Napoleon’s remains which lie in the very last of 5 or 6 coffins, each one smaller than the next. Evidently, Napoleon was fascinated with Egyptian burial and the protection he thought the sarcophagus offered. He also was responsible for some fashion firsts: the high-heel shoe and tights. The dome added to the building structure is garish and very visible in the city. As per usual, there are other museums and administrative offices in these large, old structures.



While I waited for the bike tour to begin, I walked 2 blocks to the outdoor market in the neighborhood. I’ve included pictures of this market. You won’t be able to assess the size, but the shops extended for blocks. Everything looked delicious. Each neighborhood is required by law to hold an outdoor market 2X a week.



We crossed the most elaborate bridge, “Le Pont Alexandre III”. It is a tribute to a French-Prussian Alliance in 1894. It is “Art Nouveau” architecture. Very ornate.

We passed Musee d’Orsay (a must see – most of 19th century impressionists’ work is displayed there) and, of course, Le Louvre.  Since, I spoke at length yesterday about Napoleon’s apartment, I have included a picture of the façade of his building. the outside, like the inside is garish too. The photo doesn't do it justice. Hopefully I can return and get a photo of those red, velvet drapes and gold walls.


Monday - I finished my first day of Grammar class today and it was hard. Three hours of speaking french, explaining things in french and thinking in French. My brain is "mush" and I go back tomorrow for three more hours. My teacher for this course is "Mighty Mouse". She's a tiny thing, but very self-assured. Today, besides talking about French, in French, we had to write and give 2 presentations. My partner is a very nice Viet Namese girl. But, we have a definite language barrier. Talk about being "thrown in the fire". I may sound like I'm giving up, but, "non". I'm relishing this opportunity. If I work hard, I just might start picking the language up. 


But that's enough for today. I'm exhausted and I have homework. 


Bon Soir!  


Sally

2 comments:

  1. Love the photo of the open market. It's hard to believe they have beef just laying there out in the open. I guess it is probably cold enough to it's not a worry. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the photos. they add so much to your blog. I love that bridge!

    ReplyDelete