Tuesday 15 March 2011

"The Marais", my neighborhood


  1. I've taken you all over Paris, but, now, a short tour of my neighborhood, The Marais, arrondissement #3. The area was first settled by Jews, then gay and lesbians joined the neighborhood, and finally, artists of Paris found a home here too. It is basically all "locals", no tourists. That means the people who support the neighborhood live in this community. I call the picture, below, the center of town. It isn't the center of the Marais district, but the center of my part of the Marais. When I need something, I go here. On the right hand side of the picture is my "BNP" Bank (equivalent of Bank of America). I use my "Carte de Bleu" (Debit Card) to withdraw the many "Euros" I need. I only use cash in the neighborhood.

Downtown Marais
Le Marchand de fruits et Legumes

In France, there are "supermarkets", but in the neighborhood, one goes to vendors for specialty items. The fruit and vegetable stand is typical. And, in French fashion, everything is fresh.



The fruit is really delicious and quite pricey. The barquette de fraises (strawberries) costs about 8.50 US. (They are worth it). The Patisserie is synonymous with Paris, itself. The owner of my apartment recommended "La Fougasse" and it is as beautiful as it is tasty.
La Patisserie





On the left is the cheese house. Every cheese that wasn't
pasteurized
is in this shop. It is clean and so very well organized.
The patron is very helpful too.



Clearly, I'm not very good at writing text and adding
pictures. Please forgive me. The very bottom right
is a bistro, on the street. If you smoke, you drink
your cafe here even it it's below freezing.

At four in the afternoon, this bistro is packed.
I think it is a nice part of the
French day. Everyone relaxes,
takes a break and catches up on gossip. In a world
where populations of many cultures spend
endless hours texting, it is nice to see that
humans still enjoy each other's company.

And the first picture is me knitting. I am
waiting for my class to start. No other student had arrived.
The teacher walked in and I asked her to take my picture.
She was amused that I selected a rather vacuous
setting  to send to my family.  I know you'll
understand

Love to All of You

Sally
 
   
All fruit - a favorite place



Below is a bistro I go to when I want a delicious "creme cafe". In the morning, on the way to work, men "belly up to the bar", and drink a  cup of coffee and, "shoot the breeze" with the server.  No one sits down. It reminds me of an "old western movie".

1 comment:

  1. My Gal Sal . . .
    Aren't you BRAVE gallavanting all over "Gay Paris". I've loved reading your Paris blogs! Where in the hell was I when you became so smart and sophisticated!! Your writing is divine, funny, quirky, and cute . . . just like you!

    Au Revoir Je t' aime, mon ami . . . Patty

    P.S. Missed you guys in Hawaii big time!

    ReplyDelete