Sunday 20 March 2011

Musee d'Orsay, Arc de Triomphe, and Basilica de Sacre Coeur

Friday, after class, I stopped off at the Musee d'Orsay. This is one of my favorite museums. The museum was originally a Palace, a hotel, and a RR station. Now, it is a grand museum. The architecture of the building is a work of art in itself. The museum has been open to the public since 1986. The displays of paintings and sculptures are no older than 1848. The museum feels young and fresh. The genre of art is basically the art of the Impressionists. And all the famous paintings you saw in your Art History classes are there: Courbet, Renoir, Van Gogh, Gauguin, Manet, Monet, Toulouse Lautrec and more. I was not permitted, (understandably so) to take pictures. If you go, be sure to rent an "audioguide".



Yesterday, Saturday, I wanted to buy the textbook that my Oral Class teacher uses. The book comes with a CD full of french speaking lessons. I was told that I could find the book at FNAC. FNAC is huge, like a "Circuit City" filled with "techie stuff" and books. I found the place on google - got the address and the metro number and left. The first FNAC didn't have books, but the helpful salesman (who spoke English as poorly as I speak French) gave me directions to the "Mother Ship, FNAC". And voila. I found the book I wanted and a LaRousse French- English Dictionary, I've been coveting.

If you look closely, you will see a name on the facade to the entry of the arcade. It says, "Claridge". That's my maiden name. I was so surprised to see it I took the photo.

On the way to the large FNAC, I walked along the Champs Elysees with all the fancy shops. I passed the Arc de Triomphe. The edifice is a monument to Napoleon's victories and the "Glory of France". In this round-a-bout, there is a street named for the general's every victory and the streets all pass through the opening of the monument. One must be a Formula One driver to navigate such a cobweb of directions. Also, people can take a hike to the top and view the city. I chose not to.

Fashion is very big in Paris. For both women and men. Behind my apartment, there are men's clothing stores one right after another, on both sides of a street.  But, this isn't unusual. They are all over Paris. I don't know why it amuses me so. Women, I get, but this obsession with men's dressing is foreign to me. I took this picture to illustrate.


Today, I went to the Basilica de Sacre Coeur. It isn't that old. It looks old because the architect designed it in a Romano-Bystantine style. It is quite beautiful and although, I took pictures, they did not come through. It was dedicated in 1919. It sits atop a butte, the highest point in Paris. When you arrive to Montmartre, you walk up a hill and then follow a series of rather steep steps. They have planted flowers a long the way and terraced the steps so you don't get the incline in one fell swoop. But what you do get is an assault by the gypsies. Unfortunately, they are everywhere selling their wares. But, not politely so. They are rather agressive and "in your face". I never look at them, but stay focused eyes straight ahead. I like to think I said, "Non, merci", but I think I just said, "Non, Non, Non". After viewing the church, I took one of my "walks" around Montmartre. "The walks" are a set of 50 different cards of walks around Paris. On each card, on the back, is a description, brief, of the things you will see along the walk. On the front is the very explicit map. It is a clever idea and I applaud the person who thought of it. They are available in other cities too. Part of the walk went by a cemetary. Very old, but with some relatively new head stones. I looked for a Gerome or Jerome, but found no such person. (Both my teachers commented on my last name, telling me it is very common in France). I did see some interesting tombs and have included a photo.

Bon Weekend

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sally, Diane (Karen and Steve's friend) here.
    Just wanted to tell you that after reading your
    posts, I think you should write a book. You are such a gifted writer and make it all seem so
    interesting.
    We all arrive in Paris on the 11th and will enjoy
    seeing some of your haunts and will love talking to you when we return.
    Have fun, Diane Beathe

    ReplyDelete