Tuesday 1 March 2011

The Sorbonne - St. Germaine Arrondisement - Bookstores

My Sleep pattern is almost normal. I woke up at 7:30. I haven't run since my arrival and decided today was the day. Looked at a map, chose a route along the Seine and left my apartment. Not many people run here, but everyone walks. And they walk fast. For a tourist, I believe that "a pied" (on foot) is the best way to see the sites. You, also, get a feeling for the town and the people. The French in Paris are of a single mind. They don't linger, don't make eye contact and never strike up a conversation with you. No one has been rude to me, but, then again, I haven't had encounters with anyone either.

The run was delightful and I crossed the Seine back and forth checking out great monuments when I came upon them. The very famous column with the God of Mercury on top is in my neighborhood. When I see him, I know I'm close to home. The monument celebrates a victory of the French during the Revolution of 1789 and is a rallying point today for other demonstrations. It is named "The Spirit of Liberty" and sits in the center of "La place de Bastille". Also, one should be mindful about running/walking in Paris because the sidewalks/cobblestone are treacherous. I saw a lady fall and twist her ankle today. It didn't look too pleasant but, then again, this is no place for shoes with heels.

Today is blustery and cold. If you want to fit into the environment you must wear a neck scarf. Men, women and children are all bundled up in scarves. Not only is it extra warmth, but I wanted to look less American, more Parisian. I found a scarf and tie it in loops around my neck when I go outside. I now ride the Metro with more confidence. I can move around with a minimum backtracking. There are a lot of homeless men (I haven't seen a woman there yet) tucked in their sleeping bags. I'm certain the RATP is not happy with their makeshift homes on the tile benches, but the Metro is warm and I've seen no one interrupt these habitats. Which makes one ponder where the government stands on this matter in of country more socialized than most.

For my excursion today, I went to the 5th arrondisement. I had lunch in an alley off St Germaine Boulevard which was very "touristy". I ordered a cheese omelet and was surprised by its size. HUGE. I am fearful that the French have forsaken "qualite pour quantite". The omelet was tasty and I enjoyed sitting and relaxing, but no one needs a 9 egg omelet. After lunch, I went to the "Musee National du Moyen Age". Unfortunately, it was closed on Tuesdays. I continued to the "Arenes de Lutece" which is a stadium dating back to the 2nd century. It is interesting because it held approximately 10,000 people at that time. Naturally, it had fallen into ruin, but was discovered more than 1000 years later and restored today as a park. You are welcome to come here and sit and relax and imagine the events that took place nearly 2000 years ago.

I stopped by a book store looking for a good English-French dictionary. I left my behind, but needed a new LaRousse. I didn't find what I needed and was somewhat surprised as this is the Sorbonne neighborhood filled with "librairies" (bookstores). I passed the Sorbonne on my walk. It is an impressive building. I fantasized that everyone inside was speaking beautiful French and fluent English.

Tomorrow is my first day of Class - 9AM sharp.

1 comment:

  1. Nice. We have the same weather here in Seattle but everyone is fleece. Went skiing today at Alpental, 2 feet of powder, no exageration.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete